View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
Embassy of Time

Default Re: Looking for outside testers for new GURPS-inspired RPG line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Ok, so from the Embassy and the character's perspectives, why don't you want to accidentally run into your future self with a nasty scar over one eye at a class 6 office? What's the drawback for that character?
Meeting your older self could change what you would have done to become that older self, meaning your younger self embarks down a different path. that means there are now two different versions of you running around the timestream, meaning everything you do effectively splits the timeline anywhere you go. It's a mess. There are ways that self-multiplication is used (in fact, one way is very important in the novels), but it's something done veeeery carefully, to avoid escalating timeline changes!
Quote:
Yes. And leveraging future knowledge on low tech to make weird hybrid tech is kind of a major theme of the setting, so the larger topic is probably something you'll want to illustrate.
Ohhhh, I have so many noted on this! This is going to get interesting...!
Quote:
Ok, so you have to find the tracker at the time of the time machine, and you have to find one that goes where you want it to. I didn't get that the first time. You may want to go back and make that clearer.
Will do, thanks for the heads up!
Quote:
How do you travel to the future? I thought making a destination was a fairly destructive process. how do you get a rock to 2315 from the present day when you have to destroy and archive the rock in 2020?
The time machine locks onto the original timeline of the rock (or technically, the previous timeline, but that's not the issue right here), without time traveler interference. So you'll go to the future where that rock would have been if no time travelers had been around to move the rock. I love it when people actually ask these questions!!! There are so few time travel stories these days that go into depth with this crazy stuff!

Oh, and I just updated the file, so there's now a lot of stuff about being a time agent, and a section copied from an earlier version on how to write adventures, although you probably don't need that. The aim is to make every book in the series a complete stand-alone.
Embassy of Time is offline   Reply With Quote