View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #29
Kallatari

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Interesting. I vaguely recall some post by someone authoritative saying that camouflage, stealth and cloaking negate the plain sight bonus before applying other modifiers. Or maybe I'm misremembering.
Have you found the source to this, because I'm also interested in confirming this. Basically, I'm trying to determine exactly what ramifications giving a flat +10 bonus to all Vision rolls have against skills like Stealth and Camouflage.

The best I can see is that, using a "professional" skill level of 12 for Stealth or Camouflage will, on average, result in a success by 2 and thus a -2 penalty to be noticed. With Vision +10, the typical roll for the average guy will be against 20. A -2 brings it to 18, to which you add range and/or darkness.

Assuming normal daylight, to even brings the odds to even requires a -8 range, that's about 50 yards. Within 10 yards (-4), there's still a ~90% chance of being spotted. Basically, you'd never get close to a target with only skill 12 (or never be able to hide using camouflage) while within that range.

I guess my question is... is that realistic?

PS: Love your Gaming Ballistic articles. Great read, and gets me thinking over my own house rules.
Kallatari is online now   Reply With Quote