View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 05:19 AM   #45
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Parahumans: What types do you think the canon needs, what type would you like to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Both advantages probably don't actually exist, though if you added subliminal messaging to your voice it would be illegal in some jurisdictions (subliminals probably don't actually work, mind you).
First, I must say that postulating that 'differences in how attractive, charismatic, pleasant-sounding etc. people are do not exist' seems to be an extraordinary statement, and even if proven true (I have no idea how that is possible) will make many discussions including this one meaningless.

Second, much of the 'should/will these things become lawyered out of existence' (i.e. whether they are a violation) depends heavily on whether they are indeed closer to "like a pleasant voice" (or like modern chocolate shower gels and pheromone perfumes, only TL9-TL10) or "like subliminal messages" (but actually working).

The local forum consensus seems to assume they're like the latter, but the texts seem to be written from a more neutral PoV. In fact, THS says that an aerosol that afflicts down to -10 points of Disadvantages is still a CR4 item, which seems to imply that they aren't considered all that bad.