View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #22
Evil Roy Slade

Default Re: [DF] City Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce View Post
I highly recommend a "band of thieves" sandbox campaign. The players basically do all the plotting work for you and thank you for it too.
For enthusiasts of this, I strongly recommend the long out-of-print-but-often-available-on-eBay Thieves' Guild, from Gamelords. Most of it (but alas, not the core rules) can also be ordered from Different Worlds Publishing. The essence of the game is that all the PCs are thieves, so the adventures are heavily city-based (pursuit, second-story jobs, etc) with the occasional break out of the city (temple lotting and tomb robbing, highwayman adventures).

Of course, this sort of thing requires a city setting, so they also produced the Free City of Haven. This was to be published in three parts, but only two were ever produced. The rights to this also went to a new owner in 1986 when Gamelords wrapped up operations. Tadashi Ehara, longtime editor of Different Worlds, holds the rights so far as I know, and has taken a fiendish delight in making me wait more than a quarter century for the final instalment.

EDIT: I am quite happily using Haven as the setting for both of my current DF games. There are few roleplaying settings I liked in 1981 and still enjoy now.

Last edited by Evil Roy Slade; 09-23-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: post script added
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote