View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #35
cosmicfish

Default Re: What use is Suppression Fire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I require a roll to hit the area, with the appropriate bonus (minimum +4), before I assess the effects. A miss uses the scatter rules, which could lead to a beaten zone located slightly (or vastly) off target.
I would agree that a roll is required, not sure about the +4 bonus (seems high), and I would tie the penalty to the Fright Check to the margin of success - bullets passing inches from your face is a lot scarier than bullets a block away!

I think that GURPS, focused as it is on "exceptional" individuals, does a relatively poor job of capturing the ordinary. Realistically, suppressing fire is so effective that it is mostly limited by the need to conserve ammunition - absent that (or special tactical circumstances), why not hose down an area constantly? Suppressing fire essentially transforms every peek around cover into a slightly less dangerous version of charging a machinegun nest! To capture this, I would give some level of Cowardice and/or Fearfulness for nearly all civilians and most ordinary soldiers.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote