View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 11:10 PM   #23
PK

Default Re: superior write ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliken
That, unfortunately, was the theory behind the Revelations Cycle books. Bad theory, no donut.
No, good theory, bad execution. The Revelations Cycle was hardly one huge, linked campaign/adventure. Only the last two books had anything to do with each other --- the first three were about as independent as you can get. And the "twist" of the big finale had plot holes in it the size of one of Baal's combat vessels. And the last book basically suggested resolving everything by having people act out a railroaded scene instead of doing anything that could have any effect on the final result.

Let's amend that theory to, "People might be interested in a linked set of books that presented a well done campaign, in the form of a linked set of adventures that ended up exploring some of the secrets or interesting aspects of the setting." That would be something that we have yet to see from In Nomine.

You know that I'm a huge fan of the game. But I've got to speak plainly, here -- the quality of the In Nomine line varied wildly, from the horrid organization of the core rules, the damnable APG/IPG, and the poorly executed Revelations Cycle, to the amazingly useful You Are Here, the solid GMG, most of the Superiors splatbooks (which I'm glad to see are getting e23'd), the Liber books, and the simply f'ing brilliant EPG. And even the worst of the books had some great, useful, well-done stuff, but the average gamer is going to give up on a line if they feel like they're panning for gold from a supplement's contents.

Hopefully there are enough fans here to keep the system in virtual print, especially considering that the line had been getting progressively better and better as time went on... it's a shame that by the time everyone had learned from their mistakes and knew how to turn out great products, the line had already dwindled. Sigh.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote