View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #24
Celti

Default Re: Armored... Shoes?

Other than special occasions where I need dress shoes to go with a suit, I wear one of two types of shoe. Comparing them truly highlights the Samuel Vimes “Boots” Theory of Economic Injustice:
  • My nearly-disposably cheap department store sandals, with thick rubber soles and cheap leather thongs and padding. I generally replace these every year or two, as they see a great deal of use from being my “duck out on a quick errand” shoes.
  • My rather expensive boots, which see at least as much wear as my sandals, being worn any time I know I'll need to be shod for more than a couple hours or doing extensive walking and/or lifting. They're made of good solid leather, dressy enough to wear for semi-formal* occasions, but durable enough I can hike, hump, and camp with them. I have owned two pair of these, ever, and only replaced the first set because there was mechanical damage that I didn't have time to get properly repaired.

* Also “Southwestern” formal, being as Arizona and surrounding places have somewhat out-of-the-ordinary views on formal attire. Arizona state government dress code declares bolo ties as perfectly acceptable neckwear.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote