View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Thoughts and clarifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Honestly, this is 90% of the reason; I just wanted to know if people who are more experienced with RPM saw some reason it was obviously broken in a munchkiny direction.
Nope, the reverse of broken. Perhaps a bit too strict.

Quote:
Yes, that was what I meant, sorry if I wasn't clear. But for people who don't have Thaumatology, Esoteric Medicine is their only available default.
I could see this working, and I've actually done this before in a way. It was me toying with the rules where I tied the core skill in such a either/or manner for a fantasy campaign. I've got all the ways I've bent and broke the system in a file, this was one of the first things I tried, iteration something or other (somewhere in the teens).

Quote:
Cost of living? I'm not sure I understand what number you're multiplying by 5 here.
I shorthanded this a bit more than I thought I did. Basically, look up the status of the dwelling you're creating in your pocket dimension (see p. B265) - multiply that number by 5 and then use that as the amount for which you need to roll on your Create Matter effect. This way you don't have to say "It creates a couch, table, nightstand, etc." you say "It creates a Status 0 dwelling" and right away player and GM will know what that means.

Quote:
Now, per the Duplicate Object Ritual (p. 42 of GURPS Thuamatology: Ritual Path Magic), adding a Lesser Sense Matter effect and having a set of apartment furnishings on hand to duplicate into the phantom apartment would eliminate this problem, right? (it says you have to be touching the object to be duplicated, would adding Area of Effect change that?)
Yes. It would. I'd require Area of Effect to be able to "scan" everything. That seems workable.

Quote:
This is the bit that I was failing to understand.
No biggie. :-)

Quote:
So, fixed:
Phantom Apartment:
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads + Lesser Create
Matter. +Lesser Create Energy + Lesser Control Spirit + Lesser Create Spirit
Inherent Modifiers: Area of Effect.
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).
This spell creates a fairly nice apartment in a pocket dimension. The caster and any
being he brings along can access it. It functions identically to
“normal” reality in all respects and has its own self-renewing
supply of air. The apartment is furnished with a bed, a sofa, an armchair, and a coffee table. The kitchen area has a two burner stove and a small refrigerator. The apartment has electricity and running water, and has an invisible servant who takes care of most needs.
Typical Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Lesser Cre-
ate Matter (6) + Lesser Create Energy (6)+ Lesser Create Spirit (6)+Lesser Control Spirit(5)Area of Effect, 7 yards (6) + Duration, 1 month
(11) +Subject Weight (3,000 lbs) (5). 120 energy (40×3).
Right off, I don't see anything problematic with that.

Quote:
Personal Oasis:
Greater Create Crossroads + Lesser Create
Matter.x3+Greater Create Body
Inherent Modifiers: Area of Effect.
Greater Effects : 2 (x5)

This spell creates an alternate dimensional area that the caster can access and bring others to. The oasis is filled with sand. In the center is a freshwater spring and a date palm. The air is breathable, the spring inexhaustible, and the dates edible.
Typical Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Lesser Cre-
ate Matter (6) + Greater Create Body(6)+ Area of Effect, 10 yards (8) + Duration, 1 month (11) + Subject weight 450 tons (estimated weight of sand and water filling half that volume) (10). 235 (47x5)
I don't know if I'd try to figure out cost of sand and water like that...that's....annoying and finicky. Again, I don't see anything off.

Quote:
You said in a different thread (I can probably find it if necessary) that the Greater Create Crossroads effect in Create Pocket Dimension (and thus by extension in these two spells) is only good for the initial access, and you'd need a separate Create Greater Crossroads effect to get back once you left. Would it be doable within the RAW to attach the initial Crossroads effect to something, creating a gate that exists for the duration of the spell? For instance a tent which, when you set it up and walk through the door you go to the oasis rather than the inside of the tent, or a cardboard box in an alley that leads to the phantom apartment?
Yes. You'd use a Lesser Create effect to attach a "gateway" to a specific object or place for a specific pocket dimension.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote