View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
VariousRen

Default [Magic] Blocking spells cast on others, and as normal spells

I was reading through the description of Deflect Missile, and I noticed that it specified "If you are not the subject, apply distance modifiers as for a regular spell", which got me thinking: Can you cast blocking spell on other people?

The description of Deflect Missile doesn't say anything about it being able to target other people, only what penalties to use if you do. If it had said something like "This spell can also target others, use Regular spell penalties", I would assume that it was unique, but the way it is worded is making me wonder if I have been wrong in assuming that blocking spells can only be cast on yourself.

A second related question that I have is about casting blocking spells normally, rather than in response to something. In a DF game I run the bard is a fan of the Command spell, but it is listed as a blocking spell. Can they only use Command when they are attacked? If not, what are the penalties for using a blocking spell outside of a defense?

Edit: A third question came to mind; What are the advantages of blocking spells like Hardiness over semi-permanent ones like Armour? There is a minor cost advantage, but at high skill Armour wins (blocking spells cannot be reduced in cost) on that as well, and if you cast Hardiness twice, it's better to cast Armour once. It takes a second to cast Armour, but you can do that out of combat. It seems the only place something like Hardiness is worth taking is when you are going to be ambushed, but not surprised by the ambush (so you can still cast spells), but don't have a high enough speed to go first. Is there any advantage I'm missing?

Thank you to anyone who can clear things up for me!

Last edited by VariousRen; 08-18-2015 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Added a third question about blocking spells.
VariousRen is offline   Reply With Quote