View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default [Ultra-Tech] New Weapons: UT-style armored space missiles

Ultra-Tech missiles assume an atmosphere: they have a top speed and maximum range, rather than having an acceleration and delta-V. Therefore, I decided it would be useful to design some Ultra-Tech style missiles designed to be used in space. With some help from 3e Vehicles and the armor materials in Pyramid #3/85, I came up with the following two designs. Both weapons are premised on (1) being long-range, and therefore built as robot weapons and (2) needing to withstand point-defense, and therefore being armored. I ended up using ceramic nanocomposite for both designs, hence the semi-ablative armor.

The light anti-space vehicle missile (light ASVM) is a 100mm missile which can carry any 64mm payload (the difference in diameter being made up for by armor). It also has the same electronics package as a hunter missile (Ultra-Tech p. 168), and thus shares most of the same traits, except that it has ST 6, HP 12, SM -2 (25 lbs.), DR 120 (Cannot Wear Armor, Semi-Ablative), and Enhanced Move and Flight are replaced by Enhanced Move 6 (Space; Newtonian; Space Move 3200) and Flight (Newtonian Space Flight; Space Flight Only; Space Move 50). It costs $4,500 at TL9 or $1,000 at TL10.

The medium ASVM is a 160mm missile (see Pyramid #3/37) which can carry any 100mm payload (the difference in diameter being made up for by armor). It also has the same electronics package as a striker missile (Ultra-Tech p. 168), and thus shares most of the same traits, except that it has ST 11, HP 22, SM 0 (200 lbs.), DR 200 (Cannot Wear Armor, Semi-Ablative), and Enhanced Move and Flight are replaced by Enhanced Move 6.5 (Space; Newtonian; Space Move 4800) and Flight (Newtonian Space Flight; Space Flight Only; Space Move 50). It costs $25,000 at TL9 or $4,900 at TL10.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 03-04-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote