View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 05:24 AM   #121
Tomsdad

Default Re: Swords and plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
I should have made myself a bit more clear, I have used a "slasher" (scrub clearing implement akin to a very heavy machete on an axe handle) to cut sheet metal* (albeit predominantly various gauges of corrugated iron) Like you said with the USSR approach it's not pretty but it is fast.

*also used a spade. Demolition experience plus used the same technique when cutting large amounts of corrugated iron while building flood gates.
On a side note it is possible to get a reasonably tidy finish if you start the cut with a slasher/axe/spade and then tear the metal with a guide pressed tightly in place

Edit
Slasher though the ones I have used have a smaller "beak" about 1/4 the size.

Edit 2
An Irish single edged slasher to be exact
OK got it (I did wonder when you said slasher, and yeah that's a pretty modern day bill hook!),

One question did you cut into the edge of the corrugated iron and work you way along the cut, or did you swing into the 'flat' plane of the metal?

But yes to answer your question I'm guessing the hook will help stop the edge escaping your swing under the force of the blow. (and the hook point will also help any piecing action).
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote