View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #258
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
B371 "If your foe is stunned, he rolls at -4; if he falls unconscious, you are automatically free!"
TG35 "In Technical Grappling, breaking free is no longer a Quick Contest. It is an attack, directed at the grapple rather than the opponent." .. "Your foe may “defend” using Parry or Dodge."
Thank You

Quote:
Post 1: "I'd like to try out some of Doug Cole's add-ons... Control Points from Technical Grappling an Action Points from "The Last Gasp" in Pyramid 3/44 if you have access to either."
Post 13: "Wow, we're playing full Douglas Cole then? All right."
Ok, I see it. huh. I wonder why I thought we weren't using it.

We can apply it to evading, I suppose. How do you "spend" the hex control points though? and what do you spend them on?

Quote:
Technically I had only said "some of" though, and only one thing from Pyramid outside his canonical printings. Much as I like the HT rolls to mitigate crushing damage he has in his blog ("Shrug It Off") we haven't used that since it's not in an actual book, and it would probably make the fight drag on too long.
Too long? this fights the fastest thing on the forum! JK.

Quote:
Although... if we HAD been using SIO, I might've make more All-Out / Committed attacks against you since my higher HT would've occasionally functioned like higher DR.
Yeah, anytime you work with Doug it seems that ST and HT get better. Which isn't a bad thing.

Quote:
One aspect of mitigation would be the randomized aspect, where you might do a targeted hit on a vulnerable location with an intentional slam, the target would be random with accidental slam.

Another being the inability to get "strong" +2/+1 bonuses... plus the idea of making it suffer the "defensive attack" damage penalty.

To mitigate it below defensive attack, we might involve the next tier of penalty using technique design.
Making equivalent to a defensive attack in damage is probably sufficient.

Quote:
The very weird thing about accidental hit rules (B392) ...

flat 9 or the number you would have had to roll to hit him on purpose, whichever is worse.
Is that this means that people with low DX / low skill / blindness basically are very unlikely to accidentally hit anything, even giant targets.

Really the only penalty that would make sense here is actually size modifier, since if you are hitting a random location in the hex, only SM would affect how much space in the hex they're taking up.
Range should probably also apply, and targets not trying to avoid being hit might be +4 easier.

Quote:
Plus one thing I hadn't thought about... since you roll to hit each time on secondary accidental targets, do you think that's additional chances to roll a critical miss? To roll a critical hit?
Yes. If you're randomly swinging into a target rich environment, you're asking for luck to do something one way or the other. That's how people get hurt. On the other hand, I'd be cautious about letting a player stack up too many of those rolls unless the situation really calls for it. I'd just as likely give a bonus to hit one of many similar objects as roll several times.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote