View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #29
Nosforontu

Default Re: Power-Ups for RPM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Which leads me to believe that people touching you are also affected. Its a logical assumption
Its a logical extension but I am not sure if it is supported by RAW which says you and people/things you are carrying, which implies they affect your encumbrance level. Keep in mind originally the advantage was their for things like letting your magic items still function in low mana zones (or if you had the second level of the advantage) in no mana zones since they were turned off if their skill level was reduced below 15. It would also allow personal buffs still function in low/no mana zones, and the auto refresh your fatigue pools in high enough mana zones.

Quote:
playing it any other way does not make the price worth the effect of the ability.
That is very much my concern right now. RPM can shift/clarify the rules a bit for what Mana Enhancer means/does in a RPM game, and could certainly include the explicit ruling of characters touching you are consided to get your bonus as well.

Another possibility would be if mana levels affected what was considered a Lesser/or Greater effect for a campaign, then I could easily see it being worth at least 20 points a level.

Quote:
And yet, those same skills can do most every spell in the standard system and many that it can't do.
Absolutely correct, and a major reason I am really enjoying playing around with RPM a great deal.

Quote:
I suppose you could create a specific talent that covered only Path skills and Thaumatology for 10/level, and then add area of effect/affect others....but that would be 20 points... Still, I've used 20/level for the past 10 or 12 months and the two character that have had it have had happy players, not grumbling ones.
Not doubting that your players are happy at all ghostdancer, and I certainly respect your experience with the system. I do wonder if the rules as currently written for mana enhancer work completely cleanly for RPM without shifting their prices around a bit. Just as we both agreed in an another thread that the modifier for Solitary Magery (-40%) needed to probably be reduced to (-20%) for RPM since certain basic assumptions are different for each system.

Quote:
Always on "aura" effects have already been stated by Kromm as basically being Aura (+80%) + Always On (-40%) + Melee Attack C (-30%). So...that follows with Mana Enhancer. Again, if you are requiring characters with Mana Enhancer to physically hold other casters to get the bonus...well I've never done it that way, I've never seen anyone do it that way. Touching should be plenty.
Specific rules tend trump general rules though in gaming and mana enhancer uses the specific word of "people you carry", get the benifit. I get the ruling and to be honest it has been a long time since I have run a game featuring a mana enhancer who bought it with the idea of helping someone else out rather than as insurance for their Wizard to be able to still cast in a low mana zone/no mana zone.

I like your ruling on this but the fact that the first level of mana enhancer gives you a radius of 1 yard a level rather than 2 yards a level implies to me that the 1 yard radius was chossen to reperesent people being able to make incidental contact with your character to get the "touch" benifit in play.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote