View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #41
whswhs

Default Re: Skills and Techniques are too expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
I thought it was about the incentives created by different character point prices. You want to discourage people from buying up skills directly by making it more costly to raise skills relative to attributes. This would have the effect of disincentivizing people from playing characters who have raised a single skill to a high level and encourage them to instead play characters who have raised an attribute as their method of achieving high skill levels.

If I'm understanding you correctly, your goal is to encourage players to make characters who match your understanding of the sorts of people real world learning produces?

You believe that real world people who end up being good at one mental skill tend to be good at doing mental skills in general, and the game rules should encourage you to build those sorts of characters, rather than having a pianist who is good at piano but not good at painting or surgery or mathematics, or similar types of characters. Am I kind of getting where you're coming from?
Basically, though I would look at it from the other end: People who are not high in an underlying trait tend not to learn the skills associated with it. Being low in DX, as I am, both reduces the motivation to study martial arts, or dancing, or marksmanship, and prevents gaining extraordinary skill levels even if you study hard and for a long time.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote