Old 02-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Adjudicating combat effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Scenario B:
- Action: Combatant Player auto-kills the only monster in combat
- Action: Non-Combatant Player uses Wandering Monster to continue combat.
- Action: Non-Combatant Player plays Friendship Potion (or another combat-cancel card)
- Question: Since the first monster was killed prior to the combat being canceled, does Combatant Player get its reward?

My understanding in scenario B was that it depends on whether it's a combat cancel card (as if combat never happened, such as Friendship Potion) [1][2] or a combat replacement card (changes the outcome, such as Out to Lunch)[2], since combat is all or nothing...either the combating players win (by comparing combat strength, even if auto-kill/out to lunch reduces the monsters' combat strength to 0) and get rewards, or they don't (either by Running Away or by a card that negates the combat) and get nothing...but the latest ruling leaves me more confused than anything[3], since it negates the combat but still gives rewards for the auto-kill.

I...officially don't get it, there's got to be something I'm missing. When making calls like these in a demo or tournament situation where we don't have the forum handy [or time to wait for a reply], what should we be looking for when ruling whether or not the player gets to keep their rewards?
I think what you are missing in 3 is that it's NOT negating combat and still handing out levels per Andrew's post. In your scenario, the combat has not yet completed, therefore no levels or treasures can be handed out. The auto-kill has nothing to do with it. The Wandering Monster that continues combat is the key element. Since a monster does exist and a combat is still active, the Friendship Potion works, and the combatant gets nothing.

In contrast, if the scenario looked like this:

Scenario B:
- Action: Combatant Player auto-kills the only monster in combat
- Action: Non-Combatant Player plays Friendship Potion (or another combat-cancel card)

The Combatant would get the levels/treasure because the combat is over and the Friendship Potion would be illegal to play.