View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: French vs English In Nomine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azinctus View Post
I've started playing In Nomine with a French GM, he has an early version of the French rules. Which version of the French rules was converted to English? How closely related are the two games?

How much of a gap in style and content is there between the French first edition and the GURPS conversion?
The American IN version is based on the original stuff... mostly in descriptions of Superiors and names -- and not all of those. Novalis is a girl in SJG/IN, and a guy in INS/MV. SJG/IN has no Eve as a Superior, and Gabriel is a fruitcake. (There was some back-conversion, though -- the American version had Blandine and Beleth as ex-lovers, and I believe that one of the later French supplements alluded to this.)

That said, I believe Haagenti's main book description is almost a word-for-word translation, and Khalid's original Final Trumpet appearance was also word-for-word translated from the French, I'm pretty sure.

The French version has no Choirs or Bands.

The French version is hugely satirical, but the American version evolved to be much more action-adventure and even tries to make a passing nod to being vaguely sensitive towards many real-world beliefs.

The d666 is used, but means different things -- the english version has two dice to roll under skill level, and a "check die" that indicates degree of success or failure. I believe the French version uses tables?

Basically, call them two entirely different games with certain resemblances. Knowing one will help you very little with the other, and may even be fuel for major misunderstandings. (Vessels, Trauma, Hearts, Choirs, Bands -- all hugely different. For Dominic to spend large amounts of time as a giant turtle, against his will, would be unthinkable in the American version.) I strongly urge you to talk with your GM and get him to, essentially, do up a prospectus of what kind of humor and approach he's making. The default INS/MV one would be... Contrast: Low, Brightness setting: Dark, Humor: Dark and Satirical, to allude to the GMG "settings" descriptions. Make sure that you're expecting Paranoia with angels and demons! O:>