View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #35
Jerron

Default Re: Cultural and Technological Consequences of Racial Daredevil trait

One thing I thought of- these folk would, in theory, limit their risks to the same averages as other normally, sane people. Their risks however, would be much more flamboyant- they would be routinely doing things considered suicidal by other races. Their averages for failure would be lower, and their averages for critical failure- where most of the fatalities would be- are exponetially lower.

Their average risk, of say, a normal human with a 12 skill in some death-defying task, would be similar to comparing a normal human flying a plane, to one jumping out of a plane with one of those surf-board things instead of a parachute. People think flying small planes is somewhat dangerous (I don't agree). People think jumping out of one is risky, and without a parachute insane. This race's 'insanity threshold' would begin where ours leaves off.

With this in mind, I can see all sorts of daredevil hobbies being invented. Jumping into live volcanoes while wearing a fire-proof suit, or rock-climbing with explosives. And I can see similar professions. Oil-well firefighters are around the edges of our professions; these folk might just put on that fireproof suit to go swim in lava for research.

And that paragraph leads to the assumption that this race would tend to be hired for such dangerous and... er, 'crazy'... work. Red Adair was always called for the worst oil fires... Imagine a whole race of people like that. And then give them the keys to new experimental aircraft and see if they'll do a test flight... Anyone else might crash to death, while they tend to crash and survive.
Jerron is offline   Reply With Quote