View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #128
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Alternate Crosstime Organizations

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Do I really need to point out that this is a scenario you entirely made up?
Do I really need to point out that this was an ad hominem. And badly thought out. It was an example of exactly how they operate, given information in Campaigns.

Quote:
Why wouldn't they tell her that they don't know where she's from? Why wouldn't they offer to unite her with her family if they can find them?
Sure, they might know where she's from, they might not. They might even tell her. But, if they do know, are they actually going to let her go?

And uniting her with her family is absurd. Are they going to go kidnap them? The family of a missing UN worker also goes missing. That's sure to raise some eyebrows.

Quote:
And how would she even find IST-1?
It's the "New Worlds" enhancement. It's in the book, it's on page 64.

Quote:
I mean you can certainly dial up the evil and stupid in your campaign, but what's in the actual game materials to support this being how they operate by default?
Ignoring the ad hominem, you might want to go back and re-read the books. Infinity is not about to let someone go who knows anything related to The Secret. I mean, there's a box on page 540 called "Keeping the Secret" for FSM's sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campaigns, box, pg 540
An “outtimer” who learns this secret – The Secret – must be hired, discredited, or made to vanish.
emphasis from book.

Quote:
The I-Cops use Coventry to isolate people who Know Too Much: outtimers who stumbled onto a Homeline operation; Homeliners who broke regulations; scientists abducted from other timelines because the Patrol feared they were too close to developing parachronic technology; and even disgruntled ex-employees of Infinity!
Quote:
It would not be unfair to conclude that Infinity and Centrum regard outtimers – as a group, if not as individuals – as something less than “real” people with human rights.
Sure, the same box says:

Quote:
Measures can range from dirty tricks intended to discredit the subject or change his perceptions, to commando raids aimed at eliminating all the witnesses and destroying all hard evidence. But where Centrum might kill, Infinity prefers to make the witness vanish. He is kidnapped . . . and taken to Coventry.
Which, really, is the same thing as killing them, you're just doing it in an incredibly inhumane method. We've taken them somewhere they can never return from and simply dropped them off. How is this better and more moral than just killing them? Dropping a TL7-8 person off in a TL4 world and expecting them to survive is pretty large leap of faith. Even if you can get back with projector assistance, how would you be sure you'd ever find a survivor? It's murder, just an inhumane method of murder.

And sometimes, the preferred method isn't available or tenable. Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.
Mark Skarr is online now   Reply With Quote