View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 08:52 AM   #83
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
This is basically the situation where I think it'd be better to always use movement points (being 2x more economic to shuffle forward than shuffle backward) and maybe give people 20% of their MP for free (a step) per second, and charge 1 AP per each additional 20% (necessary for 2 MP stuff like sidestep or backward, or moving in non-standing postures)

Something for the future, but for now I'll follow the Cole rules. I'm liking "Variant Move: Acceleration" because 1 AP per 20% MP sounds better than 1 AP per 20%. Especially since right above it on page 9 is "1 AP per additional step" and a step tends to be 20% of your move. Since it's based on a change in residual velocity it means I can speed up.

Acceleration rules on the free step would also be interesting: you would pay 1 AP to start moving forward (stepping forward as part of maneuver, or doing a slip) or backward (retreating, or using step from maneuver to back up) but you must continue it for free, or else use 1 AP to slow down (1 per 33%)
I think steps are fundamentally different from other movement. They aren't made with the intent of giving your body momentum in a direction: its a minimized side effect. If you watch dancing or a sport, or try doing this sort of thing yourself you'll see that this sort of movement is core skill. The biggest difficulty is really making sure you don't trip over something.

So I flat-out disagree with the idea that stepping back costs extra movement point in general.

Quote:
In the example on page 10 they charge 2 AP for 43% so the 'round normally' guideline could reduce costs, possibly to 0%, like for example someone with Move 11, moving 1 yard is less than 10% so you wouldn't round up to 1 AP (for 20%) but instead down to 0 AP (for 0%) I think?

I'm fine with charging by percent of move, but I'd always charge either the free step or the 1 AP for extra steps. Its an entirely different kind of movement.

I'm taking a "Move+Attack" maneuver, and I am increasing my velocity 4 points, from 1 to 5. 4 is 2/3 of Move 6, so this would normally cost me 3 AP to do (66 is closer to 60% than to 80%) but I believe that the -1 to DX and HT we both suffer results in -0.5 to basic speed (so our dodges, like our parries, should probably be 1 lower than listed?) so 4/5.5 is around 72%, closer to 80 so this costs me 4 AP.

Quote:
THIS IS THE CHEAP VERSION because 80% AP would cost 8 AP if using the 1 AP/10% first option... who knew that moving 3 feet could be so much more exhausting than throwing a spinning roundhouse kick?

I agree that move is much higher than it should be in the last gasp. I'd be happy saying that for 2 AP you can move to full acceleration. Is it really all that different from an all out attack, effort wise? I can see a strong case for spending 3 AP to move at full speed and 2 AP for half, but spending 8 AP to move 4 yards is frankly ridiculous.

Quote:
5 is enough to step 1 yard BEYOND you, so I am making an attempt to evade you by spending an additional AP. This total cost of 5 AP reduces my total from 12 to 7, but will necessitate you spending 1 AP as well to obstruct my evasion if you don't want me stepping into the hex in your rear. Do you want to do that, or just let me win and save the AP?

B387 "Obstructions" doesn't actually list a movement point cost for "enemy in hex" like it does a +1 for "minor obstruction" (ally in way). It occurs to me that there might actually be a double-charging system in place here. If you pay 1 AP to do an evade AND THEN ALSO 1 AP per 10% or 20% of Movement Points, and then charge movement points to evade obstructions like allies/enemies, then you're basically charging 2 AP to evade when using MP (tactical combat) and 1 AP when not using it ("step" maneuvers)

charging the move AP and the evade AP for trying to move past someone doesn't sound like double counting to me, especially, when you think about the situations in which you can move for free. Evading is a fairly intense action. Think about basketball and people who try to move past their opponent's guard. Its a pretty intense action. I agree its painful when stacked on the move cost, but that's a problem with the move cost.

Quote:
(the DX penalties when my adrenaline wears off, they would make sense to apply to "step rolls" if using my idea of making rolls every time someone stepped into a new hex, to give the possibility of tripping)

I think the dodge and move penalty that will show up cover that. Does adrenaline all run out at once, or do I have to wait 24 seconds past my second damaging kick to get the "over HP/3" effects?

I'll obstruct the evade, of course. As a note, if this ever worked, it would count as a run-around, not a pure attack in the back. The thread also presents the kernel of a truly awesome character.

I resist the evade by 1, 12 vs. 13. You have a -5 to your attempt because I'm standing up, and -1 from FP loss. Good luck!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote