View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 01:00 AM   #149
DreadDomain

Default Re: GURPS Supers Alternatives

I haven't posted in a long time and finally decided to create Batman. Keep in mind that I use KYOS.

Batman [999]
CHARACTERISTICS [450]
ST 15 DX 18 IQ 19 HT 16
HP 15 Per 19 Will 21 FP 16
Thr Dam 2d-1 BL 63 lbs Speed 8 Move 8

ATTACKS-----PARRY 16------DODGE 12
Punch (24) 2d+4 thr cr
Kick (22) 2d+6 thr cr
Batarangs (24) 2d thr cut; Range 8/15, RoF 1

ADVANTAGES [398]
Billionaire Playboy Appearance (Handsome); Corporate Rank 5; Reputation +2 (Billionaire Playboy/Philanthropist; 10 or less; Almost everyone); Status +6 includes: +3 from 'Wealth', +2 from 'Corporate Rank'; Wealth (Multimillionaire 4); Independent Income 1 [198]
The Dark Knight Combat Reflexes; DR (Trained) 1 (Tough Skin); Detective Talent 5; Fearsome Stare; Flexibility; High Pain Threshold; Less Sleep 2; Reputation +4 (World Greatest Detective and Feared Vigilante; All the time; Almost everyone); Single-Minded; Striking ST (Trained) 2; Trained By A Master; Very Fit; Very Rapid Healing [175]
WayneTech Access to Cutting-Edge Technology (Unusual Background) [5]
Well-Travelled Languages: Chinese (Broken); English (Native); French (Accented); Japanese (Native); Russian (Accented); Spanish (Accented) [20]

EQUIPMENT [62]
Batsuit Signature Gear (Tactical Suit), DR 10/5 (higher value vs Piercing and Cutting, weight 7 lbs [2]
Cloak Flight (Breakable, DR 1, SM -2, Can Be Stolen, Forcible removal, Cannot Hover, Superscience, Temporary Disadvantage, No Arms, Winged); Cloaked [9]
Batarangs Signature Gear (shurikens), thrust +1 cut, Very Fine [1]
Smoke Pellets Signature Gear (AMC AN-M83) Smoke 10 yrds, 50 sec [1]
Swingline Super Jump 3 (240ft/80yrds, Move 16) (Can be Stolen, Quick Contest of ST), Superscience; Climbing Line; Swinging [20]
Utility Belt Gizmo 4, Small technological devices carried in utility belt [14]
Batmobile Signature Gear (Sports Car); Ally (Vehicle), ST/HP 25, Hnd/SR +3/4, HT 13, Move 6/90, DR 15, Electronic Security Systems and Camouflage, Bio-Metrics Access, Advanced Computers and Criminology Gear [10]
Batcave Signature Gear (Base, Status 3), Cave, provides best equipment for TL, Electronic Security Systems and Camouflage, Bio-Metrics Access, Advanced Computers and Criminology Gear, Includes Workshops and Training room [5]

RELATIONSHIPS [-2]
Alfred Pennyworth Dependent and Ally; (25% of total, Frequency; Ally 15 or less, Dependent 6 or less) [-3]
Commissioner James Gordon Dependent and Ally (25% of total, Frequency; Ally 9 or less, Dependent 6 or less) [-5]
Lucius Fox Inventor Friend, Dependent and Ally (25% of total, Frequency; Ally 9 or less, Dependent 6 or less) [5]
The Bat Family Dependent and Ally (50% of total, Frequency; Ally 9 or less, Dependent 6 or less) [-1]
Oracle Contact (Skill 21; Completely Reliable; Frequency 9 or less) [12]
Rogue Gallery Enemy: (Small group, As Pow, Hunter, Freq 6 or less) [-10]

DISADVANTAGES [-80]
Bruce Wayne Secret Identity (Imprisonment, Status 3+) [-30]
Obsessed Intolerance (Criminals, Group); Obsession: Fight Crime (Long-Term, 9 or less); Pacifism (Cannot Kill); Sense of Duty (Gotham City); Vow (Never Use Firearms) [-50]

SKILLS [171]
Applied Scientist! (IQ/WC) 18 [12]; CEO Figurehead! (IQ/WC) 16 [3] ; Expert Detective! (IQ/WC) 24 [24]; Field Engineer! (IQ/WC) 18 [12]; Martial Artist! (DX/WC) 24 [96]; Master Ninja! (DX/WC) 18 [24]; Teaching (IQ/A) 14 [0]

Applied Scientist! Includes Biology, Chemistry, Computer Hacking, Computer Operation, Computer Programming, Current Affairs (Science & Tech), Electronics Operation and Repair (Security and Surveillance), Explosives (Demolition), First Aid, Mathematics (Applied), Physiology and Physics
CEO Figurehead! Includes Acting, Administration, Current Affairs (Business), Diplomacy, Finance, Public Speaking, Savoir-Faire (High Society) and similar business-like skills
Expert Detective! Includes Area Knowledge (Gotham City), Area Knowledge (World), Criminology, Cryptography, Current Affairs (Crimes), Detect Lies, Forensics, Interrogation, Law (local), Observation, Psychology, Research, Search and Streetwise. Includes +5 for Detective Talent
Field Engineer! Includes Armoury (Body Armor), Armoury (Melee Weapons), Boating (Motorboat), Driving (Automobile), Driving (Motorcycle), Engineer (Electronics), Engineer (Materials), Machinist, Mechanic (Aircraft), Mechanic (Automobile), Parachuting, Piloting (Glider), Piloting (Helicopter), Piloting (High-Perform Airplane), Scuba and Skiing
Martial Artist! Includes Blind Fighting, Breaking Blow, Broadsword. Fast-Draw (Batarangs), at +1 from Combat Reflexes, Intimidation at +3, Judo, Karate, Power Blow, Pressure Points, Tactics, Thrown Weapon (Shuriken), Two-Handed Sword and similar martial skills.
Master Ninja! Includes physical feats like Acrobatics, Body Control, Breath Control, Climbing and Escape both at +3 from Flexibility, Forced Entry, Jumping, Lockpicking, Running, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Swimming and Throwing, Mental skills at +1, Disguise, Holdout, Invisibility Art, Shadowing, Speed-Reading and Tracking and Willpower feats at +3, Autohypnosis, Meditation and Mental Strength

---------------------------------
NOTES
I was aiming at around 1000 points. Obviously will round him up once finished

Skills
I used Skill level meanings as per How to be a GURPS GM p.12. I could perhaps lower his Martial Arts skill to 23.
Batman being ultra-competent, I used Wildcard Skills heavily. Skills was one aspect of the character that intimidated me and kept me from creating him until now. Wildcards made it super easy as I only focused on themes and was generous in what they included. When I started writing the Justice League, I didn’t want to use Wildcards, not I wouldn’t want to create characters without them.

Attributes
For ST, KYOS is being used. I am still of two minds if this is the right thing to do if only because you need to rethink and rescale damage, DR, HP, range you jump and throw and so on. Maybe a simplified Super ST power is required instead? In this case, I would need to boost his ST to 17-18
Keeping to the spirit of KYOS, was originally trying to keep Attributes in the 10 to 16 range. While it is beneficial for HT, the skill levels necessary to represent Batman, pushed up the values of both DX and IQ. They are now more in line with the ranges in How to be a GURPS GM p.12.

Advantages
It was quite fun and easy to come up with Bruce’s advantages and it is only after the fact that I realized both wealth and Status would make my life easier to buy his bat-gear and batcave.
For Batman, I considered buying Terror but, in the end, I settled on only Intimidation, which he has at 27 (+4 for his reputation), and Fearsome Stare.

Equipment
This is another aspect that I thought would be difficult to develop (so many gadgets). I used Supers chapter 4. I found the chapter bot useful and too vague at time.
I have added Inventor Friend to Lucius Fox and Access to Cutting-Edge Technology based on WayneTech (both Supers p.75) more as a justification for whatever gadget he might have. For the gear, I have used a combination of Signature Gear based of gear in Basic Set, High Tech and Martial Arts.
Batarangs and Smoke Pellets are example of using Signature gear based on real gear costing 1 points per $10,000.
Cloak and Swingline were developed as powers. For Cloak I used a limited flight power as seen in Supers.
I based the Batsuit on the Tactical Suit found in Basic Set p. 285. As per Inventor Friend, to develop the suit at one TL higher, it costs 450% ($13,500) plus, justified by Access to Cutting-Edge Technology, I assumed the suit was only half the weight but also provided half the protection. I did not add any cost for the trade-off. The suit gives DR 10/5 and these values remain the same using KYOS.
I used Gizmos for the Utility Belt. With “small items carried in a utility belt -10%” and “Technological Devices Only, -20%”, I can squeeze 4 gizmos for 14 points.
As per Supers, I created the Batmobile as an ally. I based the car on the sports car found in Basic Set and paid the Signature Gear fee (9 points) and then improved the car using “character points” and paid for it as an Ally (only 1 point as I spent less than 25% of Bats character points).
Again, using Supers, I realized his Status was high enough to pay for the cave as a perk, but I decided to add a few more perks to add extra features. All in all, I thought this part of the rules in Supers were not very well explained or perhaps they were left vague on purpose.
What I did not add, but maybe should had, is a Gadget Pool. By the way, I am sure I have seen a write-up for a Gadget book in one of the supplement but could not find it. Anyone knows where it is?
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote