View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
Curmudgeon

Default Re: The rights and consequences to bear arms in RPGs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Hello everyone!

This is not a discussion of real gun control/gun rights, unless they are brought up in the context of how civilians/police would react to an armed character in a real-world setting. This is not the place to debate what gun laws should be, though talk about what they are and how they will affect characters in a game set in our world is on-topic. Am I clear? Please do not ruin this discussion with political debates.

So, it is a fact that most PCs possess weapons. It is a fact that they often carry them. But how are they perceived by the world for doing so?

In fact, the answer is "it depends on the world".

Alright, anyone has anything to add?
It's also affected by the cultural expectations of the GM and players. There is no right to bear arms in my country, you can bear arms but it's a privilege, legally and that affects my view when world-building.

As an example, take the difference in the way pacifism is treated in Star Trek (the original series) vs. The Starlost. Star Trek talks a lot about the Federation being pacifist by nature but phasers get used quite a bit and people get disintegrated with fair regularity and nary a blink of the eye. Garth carries his crossbow everywhere in The Starlost. He might put it down while he showers but we've never seen that. He loads his crossbow in less than half the episodes, maybe only a third of them and fired it maybe twice, wounding his opponent. I don't remember him ever killing anyone with it. The Starlost hardly ever mentioned their pacifist tendencies but their actions spoke loud and clear.

That's usually my expectation for game play, weapons are the last resort and killing an opponent isn't the go-to solution, it's the "well, nothing else has been effective" solution.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 08-15-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote