View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #195
Steven Marsh

Default Re: GURPS Forum Abbreviations

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Funny "behind the scenes" story... Even with non-abbreviated titles, we try to be careful to avoid collisions. (One of the things I help with as Project Manager is to doing what I can to make sure titles make sense, are evocative, don't cause problems, etc.)

Thus something like Transhuman Space: Martial Arts 2100 might have been called Transhuman Space: Martial Arts, but then how do you refer to it in an abbreviated fashion?
  • "For weapons a bioroid warrior might use, see pp. 212-232 of Martial Arts and pp. 32-34 of Martial Arts 2100." -- reads pretty well.
  • "For weapons a bioroid warrior might use, see pp. 212-232 of GURPS Martial Arts and pp. 32-34 of Transhuman Space: Martial Arts." -- accurate (if that were the book's name), but clunkier.
  • "For weapons a bioroid warrior might use, see pp. 212-232 of Martial Arts and pp. 32-34 of Martial Arts." -- Uh-oh... we have a problem.

Speaking as a fan, I remember the tail end of the Third Edition era, and occasionally running into arcane abbreviations that took me out of the book as my brain tried to decipher what they were cross-referencing with. It may take up a smidge more room, but the current system is much friendlier (IMO).
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote