View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Attribute Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusDarkeyes View Post
...or I can just scrap the limits altogether...
This. First, assuming you aren't handing out vast numbers of points, your players are unlikely to build characters with excessive attributes in the first place. If they do build characters with excessive attributes, they're likely to be crippled in other areas (sure, someone's got a 20 DX, but he's got a 7 in any two of ST, IQ, and HT) that they won't last long and the problem solves itself.

Second, and more importantly, I don't see how it makes actual play more fun to basically force PCs not just to fall into a realistically possible range, but a statistically likely one. You, the GM, may get a certain philosophical satisfaction in the abstract appreciation that the PCs in your campaign fit some kind of mathematical ideal, but that doesn't make the players more interested in or satisfied by their characters. If they're having adventures, even if they never break a single law of physics, they're clearly operating under exceptional conditions. Let them be exceptional people. Indeed, if you're running a truly realistic campaign, they must be exceptional if they're going to survive.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote