View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
Rindis

Default [Sorcery] Those Other Spells...

New intro for this thread:

I've been working up some of the spells from That Other Game (AD&D 1e/2e actually, with some extra inspiration from the Basic line) in a Sorcery-type format. It's good for getting a lot more familiar with a lot of advantages at the least. Part of the point of these is to include a lot of the oddball effects and restrictions of the originals; the 'feel' of this particular brand of magic is that it is not straightforward and logical.

Naturally, I'm coming up with lots of questions I can't quite answer on my own, and this thread is mostly to get discussion and advice for builds....

My blog post giving the general tweaked Sorcery system is here:
Dungeons & Sorcery Part 1

Highlights:
* Spells make liberal use of "Requires Gestures" and "Requires Magic Words" (spell components are being largely ignored).
* Spellbooks are a Mitigator to keep known spells reliable.
* There are eight colleges, which are also specializations of the Thaumatology skill.

I would like to adjust the Sorcerous Empowerment modifiers a bit to come up with an even 10% result. That way everything always costs a whole number of points. Getting to a net +0% modifier would also be nice as the '10 points of capacity per level' is a lot easier to remember.

I've started a series of some 'Grimoire' blog posts to collect worked out spells:
Dungeons & Sorcery Spells 1
Dungeons & Sorcery Spells 2
Dungeons & Sorcery Spells 3
Dungeons & Sorcery Spells 4
Dungeons & Sorcery Spells 5
Dungeons & Sorcery Spells 6
Dungeons & Sorcery Spells 7
Dungeons & Sorcery Spells 8
Dungeons & Sorcery Spells 9
Dungeons & Sorcery Spells 10

At some point, I need to start hammering out thoughts for Part 2, which would be a system for coming up with a 'once only' spell (enchanting a particular castle against Passwall and the like...), and researching new Sorcery spells, and will feature extensive use of Thaumatology and its specialties. (Part of the goal is for mages to be more specialized when using this part of the system.)

Last edited by Rindis; 10-04-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: List latest blog post
Rindis is offline   Reply With Quote