View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #31
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Addiction and long-term effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
"The EPA has officially removed saccharin and its salts from their list of hazardous constituents and commercial chemical products. In a December 14, 2010 release, the EPA stated that saccharin is no longer considered a potential hazard to human health."
From Wikipedia:Saccharine#Warning_label_addition_and_re moval. There isn't definitive evidence of a single artificial sweetener having adverse effects in humans, even in large quantities, as far as I know. At least not the big three: aspartame, saccharin, or sucralose.

And the sugar alcohols cause uncomfortable flatulence at best. That said, my concern - for blood sugar control purposes - with sugar alcohols would be to stick to the lower glycemic index sugar alcohols. So lactitol, xylitol, erythritol, good (very little impact on blood sugars). As far as I know, the popular sugar alcohols used for sweetening diabetic candies, maltitol and mannitol, not so good (they can raise blood sugars per unit serving about as much as glucose).
Didn't know the consensus changed on saccharine. It still tastes horribly bitter to me. Then again, cilantro tastes like liquid hand soap and look at how many people enjoy that.
I found that managing my diabetic diet is not as simple or obvious as I had assumed. Some "healthy" substances spike my blood sugar, while a few "less healthy" ones don't or even act to reduce it. I prefer hard and fast rules, but my body keeps getting all subjective and indeterminate on me.