View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #39
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Standard deviation on Stat distribution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post

So 10 is your average able-bodied adult? More or less how I've interpreted it, if that is so.
Yep. I've said as much quite often, and in that many words. You arrive at the average of 10 by considering all of humanity down at 6-9 – who likely constitute the majority – and then offsetting their contribution with a good dose of people at 11 up to whatever upper bound you like. In that context, 10 stands out as able, just not impressive. Then you put a cut at 10 and look at only the 11-to-upper bound scores for PCs, who are more-than-able by definition.

Obviously, you can play games where this isn't true. Just give people 25-point PCs and they won't be able to swing ultra-high scores easily. But that's not a common style of gaming. Most of the words on attributes in GURPS are discussing action-adventure games. Note that the latter need not be cinematic . . . a realistic WWII campaign would involve plenty of action and adventure, and most of the PCs would have 10+ in all their stats if they've been put in a line unit and survived so far.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote