View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #14
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: GURPS Girl Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
Meh - I care less about this than Mars Attacks and I wish that had never happened. Hoping it makes some GURPS profit though. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
I don't care overmuch about Girl Genius, but if the book includes some nice easy-to-play rules for cinematic gadgeteering (and how can it not, given the subject matter?) it would be worth purchasing from my point of view.
A tale of two negative comments:

The first one is pure threadcrapping. Not only does it take a quick detour to say something unnecessary about an utterly unrelated book, it has nothing at all to say about Girl Genius except "I hope it makes some money." This is the kind of comment that turns conversations toxic all over the internet and it stems from a failure to remember our grandparents' maxim, "If you can't say something nice, say nothing."

ravenfish's comment is certainly not enthusiastic about Girl Genius itself, but does make the point that there's likely to be material of value. In doing this, it adds a bit of nuance to the discussion. Thank you, ravenfish.

I am NOT saying that you can't have negative opinions or even express them. I'm saying, pay attention to context. If people ask for reviews or impressions, then sure, go to town. But s thread in which people are waxing optimistic and eager about an upcoming release is maybe not the place to be Debbie Downer. Your opinion about a game book is not so important that it's worth ruining everyone else's pleasant time. Let people like what they like.

(By way of illustration: there's a very popular TV show that never clicked with me. At all. I used to make sure people were very aware of my opinion when the subject of the show came up around me. The result? I made people uncomfortable, even angry, because I was implicitly saying they were wrong for enjoying something they enjoyed. Eventually, after some painful conversations with close friends on the topic of "Andrew, you are being a jackass and you should shut up and leave now," I started to realize that whatever momentary enjoyment I got out of being all iconoclastic and edgy wasn't worth the damage it was doing to my friendships.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote