View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #22
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

Ok, so you're more interested in the home front of your setting than in first contact missions. That's an interesting approach. May I ask why a super-human template is your starting point? And what the "default activities" for the setting are?

A template should focus on traits that make its characters stand out from other high point characters.

When I see the advantages Absolute Direction, Absolute Timing, Eidetic Memory and Lightning calculator all in the same place, my mind immediately jumps to "Implanted Computer Chip". I'm not saying this is the cause of that, but these advantages are very often found in AI. I don't think they're bad, because they also do a great job of showcasing intellectual superiority without actually outclassing their peers that badly. I have a perfect memory, can time events down to the second while going about my daily life, and solve complex math problems by looking at them. But when I actually need to solve something, I'm only at +1 vs. a baseline human (unless it actually involves equations quickly or remembering minutia)

Voice and Appearance are natural inclusions, but they should probably have the"off the shelf" modifier, where people become resistant to the good looks and soothing voice because they see the engineered stuff so much. See basic page 21 "Off-the-shelf-looks"

Universal Ambidexterity and night vision are weird on this template. I'm not sure why those are prioritized. On the other hand, they are memorable, and it could be fun for "perfect vision and ambidexterous" to be a give away as to what you are. Any reasoning there?

The attribute increases aren't bad. They're fairly generic, but increasing mainly HT and ST makes sense, and we are trying to convey "Superior Human".

The talents and disadvantages are weird. I'm not sure why there are specific point values of the lists. Smooth operator feels bad, but some of that is that it gives very little for being a 15 point talent and so the optimizer in me is nauseated every time I see it. I'd be happier with "most human 1.5's have 20 to 40 points in the following talents, and the following disadvantages are common among them". I'm surprised that charisma didn't make your list.

My greatest objection to the template is that as a player taking it doesn't give me any abilities I couldn't gain through being an awesome individual, and it demands I pay for some abilities that are a touch less than ideal.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote