View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: TFT / GURPS / Dungeon Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
DFRPG is a Powered by GURPS product, meaning it uses the GURPS rules and includes a stripped down rule set in it. The full GURPS system has a lot of material unlikely to be used in a fantasy game and DFRPG cut that out and hid a lot of stuff such as the powers system by just showing the final product.
I think I would term the ruleset a "curated" or "streamlined" one rather than "stripped down." Your second sentence confirms this: Sean did the hard work of removing everything that's "not this genre" from the corpus of GURPS work, fixing and tweaking to bring certain general case rules into alignment with the treatment's mission statement.

GURPS is a "subtractive" system. You remove everything that's NOT your campaign to form the foundation, add your own personal fluff and crunch if needed, and then play. "Stripped down" GURPS sounds like you're getting less, but in fact you're getting *just what you need*, which is a huge help.

I don't mean to pick too much (though of course I'm nitpicking a bit), but I think there are less pejorative-sounding ways to convey the work done to make the DFRPG what it is.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote