View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 02:25 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Physics. (Very LAST thread). I promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
I’m trying to end my obsession with a future science idea. I’ve posted similar questions that I’ve asked you all over the internet and I’ve had no luck in finding anything.
Yes … I noticed you on Stack Exchange.
Quote:
Also this is the very last time I will ask you for ideas. I’m trying to quit this crazy obsession.
Good.

Let's try and explain why your quest is intrinsically, automatically, doomed. The various writers of Star Wars have never had any significant knowledge of real physics, nor have they ever had any clear or consistent fictional physics that has guided their worldbuilding. They have just made up some phrases that contained scientific-sounding words whenever their plots needed someone to explain something. I doubt they have ever claimed that anything was scientifically meaningful; if they did, they were ignorant or lying.

Everything you have learned from Hollywood is wrong. Anything involving any kind of technical material in films or TV that are presented as fiction can be reliably assumed to be incorrect. This is not because of a conspiracy to miss-inform the public. If such a conspiracy existed, it would be less effective in its purpose than the current style of scriptwriting, because some people would rebel against it as a matter of artistic freedom.

Scriptwriters care about their plots being dramatically and commercially successful, not about scientific plausibility. Real science does not produce neat and rapid plot resolutions, with pretty little moral and dramatic lessons emerging naturally from them.

Fans of film and TV series have put vast amounts of work into attempting to rationalise the events of those stories. This has all been wasted effort, and goes a long way towards justifying the lack of care for plausibility used by the producers of these stories: it is strong evidence that their dedicated fans will swallow anything, so why handicap yourself by trying make it plausible?

Last edited by johndallman; 07-09-2019 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Tenses
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote