View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
Phil Masters

Default Re: Sinbad the Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Is there a reason he is not qualified to serve as the captain of a ship?
Yes; he never did. Even when it was his own ship (on just one voyage), he hired in those skills.

One of the translations calls him "Es-Sindibad of the Sea" rather than "...the Sailor", and I almost wish I could have done the same.

Quote:
I thought that by the later tales, Sinbad was in charge of the ship and had Navigation, Leadership, Tactics (Naval) and Shiphandling...
Not in any of the translations I found. They're full of professional captains suddenly discovering that the ship has gone astray (and no naval combat at all).

Some time, I may do a character sheet for Hollywood Sinbad, who has Sailor! at 15+. But that's not this guy.

Quote:
Imean, the Caliph trusts him to deliver expensive gifts over the terrible, terrible oceans of this reality.
In the alternate version of the Seventh Voyage, but yes.

Quote:
Why would he trust this to someone who can't even navigate, gather a crew or command a ship? And who only has Seamanship (to default from) at the lowest possible level for a professional sailor?
Savoir-Faire, Charisma, and even more importantly, insane levels of Luck and Serendipity. They're much more important under the relevant assumptions and narrative conventions. Manual and technical work is stuff for the hirelings.

Quote:
Also, isn't the character like a legendary teller of tales, who at this point in his life ?
Habitual, perhaps, and he gets some use from that (very respectable) 13 in the stories, but he only becomes a legend after he tells his stories to Sinbad the Porter and his other guests - at which point, he's got the advantage of amazingly good material.

Quote:
What skills to you use to build a raft?
Survival (Island/Beach), plus Knot-Tying.

Quote:
And I'm sure he needs Scrounging.
I take that as "acquiring stuff for free in human society" - and Sinbad rarely or never does that. (He makes friends and trades stuff.) When he needs to get hold of raw materials, it's always in some kind of wilderness; that's Survival.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote