View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Phil Masters

Default Sinbad the Sailor

To mark the release of my latest book tomorrow, I thought that I'd stat up the subject in GURPS terms:

Sinbad the Sailor (288 points)

ST 11 [10]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 15 [50].
Damage 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24*lb; HP 11 [0]; Will 14 [10]; Per 12 [0]; FP 15 [0].
Basic Speed 6.50 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Dodge 9.
5'9"; 155 lbs..

Social Background
TL: 3 [0].
CF: Islamic (Native) [0].
Languages: Arabic (Native) [0].

Advantages
Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Charisma 1 [5]; Extraordinary Luck [30]; Serendipity 2 [30]; Status +3* [5]; Wealth (Multimillionaire 1) [75].
Perks: Deep Sleeper. [1]

Disadvantages
Curious (15) [-2]; Unluckiness [-10]; Weirdness Magnet [-15].
Quirks: Conventionally devout Muslim; Suffers growing wanderlust whenever he's at home. [-2]

Skills
Carousing (E) HT [1]-15; Knot-Tying (E) DX+1 [2]-12; Leatherworking (E) DX+1 [2]-12; Merchant (A) IQ+2 [8]-14; Public Speaking (Storytelling) (E) IQ+1 [1]-13†; Riding (Equines) (A) DX-1 [1]-10; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ+2 [4]-14‡; Seamanship/TL3 (E) IQ [1]-12; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4]-12; Survival (Island/Beach) (A) Per+3 [12]-15; Swimming (E) HT [1]-15.

* Includes +2 from 'Wealth'.
† Includes +1 from 'Charisma'.
‡ Conditional +1 from 'Charisma' when making Influence rolls.

Notes

This is Sinbad around the time of his later voyages, but before he finally buys off the quirk that keeps dragging him off to sea to little good purpose. His Wealth level for game purposes is doubtless debatable; by the time he retires, he's clearly very rich indeed, with perhaps enough Independent Income from investments and passive business concerns to keep him in luxury indefinitely (with high Status). While on his voyages, he frequently finds himself stranded in foreign lands without a dirham - but he never seems to find much difficulty in restoring his fortune, often to very high levels locally.

Likewise, his Appearance and Charisma are extrapolations, but he's described as "distinguished" even in later years, and something keeps making him popular with and trusted by local merchants and rulers all over the Indian Ocean. Going by the alternate narrative of his seventh voyage, a point or two in Bow skill might also be appropriate.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote