View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #24
Shostak

Default Re: thrown weapons and facing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Isn't the facing bonus due to a superior reaction speed advantage over the defense?
Not to my way of thinking. Rather, I've always thought of it as a benefit due to the target's inability to clearly see the attack coming. Admittedly, TFT's relatively low-res mechanics do have the strange effect of adding to speed when giving a to-hit bonus, but I don't think it is particularly realistic.
Quote:
Therefore you can't apply this from a distance.
That does not logically follow; indeed, an arrow loosed from a bow will almost certainly be faster than a spear thrust or quarterstaff blow. The prohibition against missile weapons getting the bonus has never made sense to me, despite its being part of the game since the beginning.

But, more importantly, where under the description of thrown weapon attacks is there any mention of their being an exception to the facing bonus rule, as there so clearly is with missile weapons? Rules are laid out such that patterns are introduced and exceptions to those patterns are noted. It stands to reason that if an exception isn't noted, it isn't an exception.

Last edited by Shostak; 10-18-2020 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote