View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #25
phiwum

Default Re: How does anything stay locked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I don't know; this is turning into one of those threads where we try to think of new rules to render useless something that's been in the game for 40 years (see also: bola, net, etc.). Wouldn't it be easier to decide that if you don't like a spell or item that much you can edit it out of your campaign and that's the end of it?
At present, I'm planning on living with it as is. A vault by itself can't deter a stubborn wizard with the right spells. Locks by themselves are more or less like padlocks in the real world. They only deter folks who don't want to go to the trouble of buying bolt cutters. They are a nudge towards honesty, not an obstacle to determined thieves.

So I've been interested in the other deterrent means. Alarms, guards and traps are a little more deterrent, enough to keep the newbies out, but they also have their limits.

In the end, banks can be knocked over, especially the small town bank I'm thinking about. I'm fine with that, but I do like thinking about what an intelligent and powerful character with significant resources would do if he had something extraordinarily valuable that could not be carried on his person. It's a fairly natural thing to wonder, since our players are sometimes thieving scoundrels.

And, of course, so are some NPCs, even some fairly tough ones.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote