View Single Post
Old 02-29-2020, 09:10 PM   #597
X the Unknown

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

This is great. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid #3/43: Thaumatology III, p. 15
You're killing me with this. I've managed to avoid buying any of these Pyramids and now I'm agonizing over buying this for the last 15 minutes. I know I'm going to end up buying this and then it'll be downhill after that. I hope you're happy. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid #3/43: Thaumatology III, p. 15
As an optional rule, the GM might allow rituals with the area of effect modifier but not the damage modifier to receive the benefits listed under the Persistent enhancements (p. B107) for +8 extra energy or Persistent and Drifting (p. B105) for +12 extra energy.
Ok, so I haven't bought it yet, but this is a little odd to me. In T:RPM it says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic, p. 17
Duration is an exception; any sort of enduring damage should be represented with enhancements such as Cyclic or Persistent.
And in Basic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic, p. 107
You may only add this enhancement to an Area Effect (p.102) attack. This causes the area effect to stay in place for 10 seconds, continuing to damage... anyone entering or passing through it.
Thaumatology III and RPM/Basic seem to contradict each other.

It also says under Persistent:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic, p. 107
Use Extended Duration to extend the duration.
So, does the duration purchased in the base ritual not included the Persistent duration and I need to purchase it with Extended Duration, enough to cover the ritual duration?

All that being said, and if I'm right, to expand upon your Capturing Roots ritual to get it to continue grabbing people that come within its area of effect, we would get this:

Capturing Roots
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus, +5 to Binding Rolls, Persistent.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1)

Animates a cluster of roots to stretch out and grab anyone nearby and continues to reach for people for the duration. Treat this as an area of effect binding attack with the roots having an effective ST of Path of Matter + 5. If the roots are reaching out laterally (from a wall or fence), targets may use active defenses. If the attack comes up from the ground, limit active defenses to parries with feet or a dodge at -3. This spell has no effect on sapient plants.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Body (5) + Bestows a Bonus, +5 to Binding Rolls (16) + Area of Effect, 5 yards, excludes 12 allies (10) + Persistent (Extended Duration) (24) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Subject Weight, 1,000 lbs. (4)
Cost: 64 energy (64x1)

Right?

Last edited by X the Unknown; 02-29-2020 at 09:18 PM.
X the Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote