View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [IW] ISWAT "NCIS" (or CSI-type) roles and characters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Well, you wouldn't be playing a game that was confined to Homeline, so I suppose that most investigations will take place on various otherworlds. Your investigators are not going to have any genuine enforceable police powers in most of their investigations, they aren't going to be able to get or serve warrants, they aren't going to be able to call in patrol officers or SWAT, issue BOLOs, search databases, or identify fingerprints. They'll find it very difficult to take suspects in and question tem in interview rooms. And they will only be able to conduct routine police investigations (interviewing witnesses, canvassing neighbourhoods, sealing and examining crime scenes etc.) using fraudulent credentials. Which would be risky.

I guess they might be okay on worlds that don't have their own police. And as the examples of Vidocq and Henry Fielding show, a little method goes a long way when criminals aren't prepared for it.

But in most cases, the characters are going to be private non-citizens, with no authority, without even legal residency, nosing around crime-scenes and witnesses with no reasonable account of themselves and no explanation for where they got a stack of sophisticated investigating equipment.

It'll be nothing like NCIS. More like PIs or spies.
I suspect Temporal Inertial will allow one to avoid at least part of these problems. Especially when coupled with Ally (Local Double).