View Single Post
Old 12-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #20
Icelander

Default Re: Study of Folklore and Magic in Texas and the Gulf Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
Nice sounding campaign.

I'm from south Louisiana so I may be able to help you out with stuff you need to know from this part of The Gulf, though I'm not sure regarding your university questions. I'm a bit out of touch with that these days.
Well, thanks. I'll be sure to make use of that kind offer.

Lucien Lacoste, the one PC already fully made was born in New Orleans, attended Jesuit High School and Loyola University and then worked in the NOPD for some fourteen years, the majority of that time as a homicide detective.

Lacoste has a spirit Ally whose form is that of his deceased partner* in the homicide department, LaDarius Fournette, who was born in rural Louisiana somewhere, where the accent is closer to other Southern accents than Cajun, Creole or the Yat dialect.

Where would the closest area to New Orleans where the accent sounds more 'normal' Southern be located?

*Due to the propensity for spirits to take on appearances and habits from the beliefs and expectations of people around them, it's unclear whether this is the genuine ghost of his partner or merely an opportunistic spirit.

Quote:
Regarding Galveston, check out a book by Joe R. Lansdale named 'The Big Blow' - it might help kickstart your east Texas mojo. I've never been to Galveston, but the book is set there, in the past though, and I liked that book. In fact, many of his short stories would make great source material for this sort of campaign.
I love Joe R. Lansdale!

His novels and short stories, as well as Nic Pizzolatto's* Galveston novel (now the movie Galveston) were major influences on my decision to set the campaign partially around Galveston, near the Big Thicket of East Texas, instead of having the home base be in the Caribbean itself.

It's very likely that New Orleans and southern Louisiana will also feature as a common adventure location, with inspiration drawn from True Detective, True Blood, James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux novels, Angel Heart (movie and book), The Originals and the old point-and-click adventure game Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.

*Creator, writer and show-runner of HBO's True Detective.

Quote:
Back to south La., you'll almost certainly want to run adventures in the Atchafalaya Basin. Some Loup Garou, or Rougarou, sightings in the area would seem a good thing to investigate for such a crew. There are lots of oil & gas pipelines crisscrossing the swamp, but folks live, fish, and catch crawfish there, plus gators, of course.
Sounds good. Rougarou are a good idea.

Quote:
I wanted to add that I *think* Tulane University has a good Anthropology program on Native Americans, but I'd have to web search it to verify - same thing you could do. Also that you may want to Web search The Old Spanish Trail which stretches over much of the Gulf Coast - there's probably some history & locations along it's length you could use as adventure sites. The Shadows on the Teche is one such in my home town.
I imagine that Lucien Lacoste will have an old Jesuit professor friend at Loyola, someone who knows about the supernatural from a Catholic perspective and provides a back-channel contact with the inevitable Catholic Church conspiracy (which hopefully has no more sinister goal than to protect humanity in secret from the supernatural).