View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #34
hal

Default Re: [Magic] Colleges And Prerequisites: What Are They?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
The problem is that otherwise they are gods.
To quote from one of my favorite books by H. Beam Piper...

"You're crazy!" Basil Gorram exploded.

"Young man," Harkaman reproved, "the conversation was between Lord
Trask and myself. And when somebody makes a statement you don't
understand, don't tell him he's crazy. Ask him what he means.
What _do_ you mean, Lord Trask?"

So, in the spirit intended (common, ya gotta smile!)

What do you mean by "They are gods." above?

Have you ever, as a GM, had to hunt down player character mages? They are anything BUT gods in my game worlds that I've run. One player character had reverse missile (always on) along with a few other fun defensive magic item spells. He made the mistake of assassinating the Emperor's younger brother, as well as the High Priest of the empire. The wizard's guild, fearful that this act would result in them all being hunted down, or heavily regulated - that they quickly banded together, and created a spell circle to cast the spell "Suspend Magic". The spell was linked to a pebble, and would only function when forcefully cast to the ground and invoked. The radius of the spell was such that everything within a 1/4 mile of the ground zero of the pebble, would result in zero mana for a short time. Net result? The friends of the offending mage (also fearful that they'd be hunted, expecially when the mage's guild approached them directly) agreed to let the mage's guild agent know when their friend was back in town.

End result? The player character returned, they ratted on him, and once the suspend mana went into effect, the outlaw was shot down with crossbows like a dog in the street.

It is not hard to hunt mages down who are built using GURPS MAGIC. Unless we're talking about a point budget of 500+ characters points, all human mages are mortal and can be taken down.

So - what precisely do you mean by "They are gods"?
hal is offline   Reply With Quote