View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #26
Jackal

Default Re: The Economic System in TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
My 2 Cents (if I may pun in an economical fashion):

I would be most interested in seeing TFT Economics addressed on a macro-level; being rules and systems specifically related to the generation and perpetuation of Trade-and-Commerce between villages, towns, city-states, countries, and realms - and how YOUR TFT CHARACTER factors into the Cidri economic-equation in game-terms; beyond the purchase of items and sustenance.

Or would that be wholly outside of the scope of the original vision of what TFT is, and is not?

Or, is that exactly what TFT needs, or needs to avoid to retain it's intended scope?

?
Sandbox or amusement park?

IF you want sample milieu -- a setting, a starter world, as it were -- to populate, then yes, OK, I can see where having at least some kind of macroeconomic system would be required.

IF, however, you want a event resolution system you can drop into any old sandbox, then I'm not sure having "the" economic system will be of any use.

Case in point: I've always used pounds, shillings, pence & farthings (L, s, d, f) as currency: 4f to the d, 12d to the s, 20s to the L.

Simple, right?

Hey, don't laugh: that's how the entire Western world did it from the time of the Etruscans to the post-WWII reforms! It lasted in the UK until the 70's.

In my world, an economic system based on modern, 20th century notions of decimal currency is nonsensical. But that's just MY world. Works for precious few others, I bet!

One of the things I love about GURPS is how it encapsulated genres.

So why not give TFT the GURPS treatment? Keep the game-proper sharply focused on char gen and event resolution.

Then add milieu-specific expansions.
"Dark Ages"
"Romana Imperitrix Mundi"
"The Black Company Strikes Back." (dibs!)
"Gor: The LARP" (all yours!)

- Jack
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote