View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
Incard

Default Re: Player Paranoia and Character Surprise: How to GM

In general my PCs have slowly become less like the hyper-paranoid stereotype you refer to. This has happened over time as they've gotten used to my GMing style. Now, when I have a really nasty trick to spring on them, they enjoy every second of it. One key is to use these double-cross or secret-bad-guy scenarios sparringly. If the PCs have been taught through experience that innocent situations are the most dangerous, they will react that way. If, instead, most NPCs are what they appear to be, the PCs will relax this paranoia reflex. This will make those times when the PCs are double-crossed that much more exciting and memorable. My PCs still talk about the 'healer' that traveled with the party for 3 sessions (about 3 weeks in game-time) while 'curing' the party leader. In fact the healer was not a healer at all, but an agent of the Big Bad Guy. He had the party leader wrapped head to toe in bandages and his tounge cut out as he drained his attributes slowly over days and days. This was so memorable because in that 'reveal' moment, the PCs suddenly connected the dots and saw all those subtle clues. The party leader did a good job of keeping his mouth shut between sessions and was virtually bursting at the seems as the party came closer and closer to their realization.