View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #26
Cowrie

Default Re: Waterfowl: Amphibious or Racial Swimming Skill?

First off, thanks to everyone for the input. I think I'm going to use the aspected Amphibious (Surface Only, -50%) [5] suggested on the first page, combined with a reduced Move score, but the discussion has been really interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You're also using big ol primate arms and a lever (paddle). That and it's a duck, which is a bit wee. It's a little unfair, like comparing a toy poodle running to someone on a bike...
To be fair, during my research for statting up a swan form, I found that maximum swim speed for swans, while apparently not precisely measured, is estimated at about 5mph. And the circumstances described relative to that 5 mph speed definitely make it sound like a sprinting scenario. While still not comparable to primate arms with a lever, considering the size of swans, it suggests that most waterfowl aren't particularly fast for their size in water any more than on land. Again, diving ducks might be an exception due to legs being further back like other diving birds. OTOH, some of them rank very high for speed in level flight and most of them have pretty good endurance in the air.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote