View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
Jennifer

Default Re: In Nomine Second Edition: What have we learned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredofScissors View Post
- Make humans easier to play and less incompetent.

- Make the d666 a 3-18 range like GURPS (helps with above, too!) and link CD to margin of success to reduce randomness.
While I agree that the d666 is a flawed mechanic, I don't think that making In Nomine more like GURPS is a good idea. There's already a perfectly good "GURPS In Nomine" product for that.

From an analytical viewpoint, the above proposal can really be broken down into two parts:

- Make the d666 a 3-18 range like GURPS (helps with above, too!)

Whether or not switching to a 3d6 mechanic helps with the power balance between mortals and celestials really depends on how the character generation mechanics are changed to fit the range. If you leave them as is and compare an evenly distributed starting celestial (average stat 6) with an evenly distributed starting mortal (average stat rounded up to 3), then the celestial is 10 times more likely to succeed a stat check than the mortal on 3d6, but only 5 times more likely on the d666. This does not help with the power balance.

- and link CD to margin of success to reduce randomness.

This is actively antithetical to making mortals more playable. With the CD, a mortal is just as likely as a celestial to get a CD 6, if they manage to succeed at all (barring CD bonuses from TN over 12). With margin of success, mortals will hardly ever be able to get an extreme success.
Quote:
- If Superiors get expanded, I'd rather see someone new (Marc, Jean, etc.) than Michael or Dominic for the fourth time.
I'm guessing that Marc is already in the pipeline, since (IIRC) he was on the wishlist for a while, then disappeared?
Quote:
- Keep the focus on Christianity and the "Book" religions, please! If individual groups want to get all "American Gods", that's cool, but it shouldn't be a big part of the default game.
Christianity is firmly in CDAU turf. It should stay CDAU.
Quote:
We could call the new edition the "New Testament"!
As an in-joke on the boards, sure - but keep it off the cover if you want me to buy it.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote