View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #36
Skarg

Default Re: Misc. Spell questions

These are good questions that mostly need rulings since they're not fully defined, but my rulings would tend to be:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Quick-Draw (magic staff of suitable shape, say a wand) Are high level staffs immune to critical failures on quick-draw also?
Yes, it's just another way to accidentally drop your weapon, so it is covered.

Quote:
Sex Appeal Is this a one-turn action that the Aid spell might help with? What if the wizard is using his own ST to boost his ST for this roll?
It would apply for two turns, but then drop out, so unless for some reason the subject is basing their reaction to someone on how they were for that 10 seconds, no. If it was a big Aid spell, they might even be negatively struck by the sudden drop. "Oh, they were really charming for 10 seconds, and then seemed to become much more dull." Also, unless the spell-casting right before it wasn't noticed, it could distract from the atmosphere to have someone casting a spell. (On the other hand, I can imagine there might be some wizards who have a culture where it is part of social exchanges to Aid your own IQ for moments of extra wit... but even so, I'd think less superficial mages would develop a keener discernment for what people's actual wits (and glamoured appearance, etc) are like. "You KNOW that's a glamoured nose, don't you? Oh, and Artaud? He's a ten-second wit, that's for sure...")

Quote:
Missile Weapons (Magic Fist) allowable?
It's not needed and doesn't exist because Missile Weapons still applies to all missile weapons and missile spells that you know. It's not re-learned per missile talent.

Quote:
Poet Can this be used to write scrolls whose true effect is harder to discern?
I love that idea! I imagine the effect would be less on people who also have Poet and/or maybe Writing.

Quote:
Two Weapons How does the attack action of low-level magical staffs interact with this skill?
Good question. I'd tend to think it's probably the same only one attack is the staff attack, and that if the staff isn't something that can parry (like a light wand) then it can't be used for defensive options.

Quote:
Weapon Expertise(Club) does this exist even though there is no Club skill?
Weapon Mastery(Club) doable?
Nice question! I'd say sure. Is this what Jackie Chan uses to fight like a master with improvised objects? Improvised Object Master?

Quote:
Writing Any help with writing spellbooks or scrolls?
Good question. I would say so, and also for magic books, and continue to hope that the rules for how long exactly it takes to learn from magic books and other sources return somewhere.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote