View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
Terquem

Default Re: How does 5e D&D compare to the others?

I like it, a lot, and I'm probably not qualified to make analytical comparisons, but my feel is that, over time, the emphasis for these kinds of role playing games grew into primarily a focus on character creation and development (probably impacted by computer games that started offering players complex character attribute modification during play).

Culminating, in my opinion, with the ultimate character creation game, Pathfinder, which gives players a nearly unlimited assortment of options to customize the character

But, for me, someone who began playing a long time ago, playing the game itself, exploring the world, and the choices made by players for what their characters "do" instead of what their characters "are" has always been more fun, again for me.

D&D5e, for me, gives some acknowledgement back to that aspect of the game, actually just playing it, and how you can quickly determine the outcome of player choices without being bogged down in evaluating each character's specific unique build and how that modifies success or failure.

I like it, a lot.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote