View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #25
platimus

Default Re: Aimed Shots, Crippling Hits, and Dagger Marksmanship

I'm just guessing here but I think most of the "confusion"? or questions related to having both Aimed Shots and Crippling Hits rules are related to the following line from the Aimed Shots section of the rules (ITL p.120)...

Quote:
If you allow aimed shots, you will probably want to use the
Crippling Hits optional rule (below) as well.
Here's how I honestly interpreted that line: If you are the sort of person that likes using Aimed Shot rules, you will probably like to use the Crippling Hits rules as well.

I don't take that line as a "recommendation" to use Crippling Hits in conjunction with Aimed Shots. I personally don't plan to apply both sets of rules to a single attack as they do seem to overlap. If a character is actually aiming, I'll use the Aimed Shots rules. If the character is NOT aiming, I'll use the Crippling Hits rules. I view the Crippling Hits as an "add-on" to critical hits rules. It really wouldn't make sense to use BOTH for an "aimed attack" unless one trumped the other because the Crippling Hits result could land an attack aimed at the arm on a foe's head instead. Even if it does make sense to you to combine them, it gets rather complicated to process them together. This may be the other reason for complaints/questions regarding why both rules exists. These are both Optional Rules so if something about them bothers you, don't use them. Simple.

I will probably tinker/simplify/combine the Crippling Hits with critical hits though. Just spit-balling right now...

If you roll a 3 or 4 to hit (un-aimed) you can simply opt for an extra die or two of damage or the GM may offer a roll on the Crippling Hits table instead...

2d6
Result...Effect
2-3.......Triple damage
4-5.......Double damage
6-9.......No effect
10........Target loses use of one leg.
11........Target loses use of one arm.
12........Target is hit in head; his ST is reduced to 1 and he falls unconscious.
(NOTE: GM may decide which leg or arm is affected or he may use 1d2/coin-flip to decide. A loss of use of an arm means items carried in the hand of that arm are dropped.)

EDIT
In retrospect, I will probably not offer the Crippling Hits rules to players but I might make secret rolls on it as the GM if I feel like one side of a battle needs a little help. If I'm rolling on it for PCs, I'll be playing the role of a merciful god. If I'm rolling on it for NPCs, I'll be playing the role of a wrathful god. LOL

Last edited by platimus; 10-30-2018 at 04:01 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote