View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #700
Bayarea

Default Re: All talents get more levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I think for a game like TFT it would be acceptable to say:
  • All talents run from 0 (you don't have it) to whatever.
  • Here are a bunch of talents frequently relevant to adventuring, with rules explaining what they do.
  • Here are some other talents that generally don't matter in adventures, including everything ITL calls a mundane talent. They're intended to be taken by NPCs. If someone needs to use one in play, wing it.

The number of levels should be equal to the number of levels you can realistically distinguish in fiction. I'd say that's probably three, maybe four:
  • Basic/Apprentice: I can do the easy bits. Maybe my job involves a little bit of it. Maybe it's a hobby. Maybe I dropped out of training.
  • Professional/Journeyman: I could do this sort of thing for a living.
  • Expert/Master: I'm the best where I work and they give me the hardest jobs. When the professionals are stumped they come to me. Maybe I have professionals working for me.
  • Genius: Maybe there's a case for having skills that are spoken of in hushed tones, to represent Sherlock Holmes and the like.
The basic level is the most important thing that's missing from TFT, which generally starts at Professional and also supports Expert. It's so common: probably most soldiers have basic Woodsman, for instance, and lots will have basic Physicker, but won't have the IQ for the full versions of these talents. Plenty of people play instruments and could be given basic Bard for flavour.
I like this for a few of reasons, first it adds more talents. And Steve if you're reading this, ADD MORE TALENTS PLEASE!!

Secondly it provides a higher level of differentiation between fighters.

Lastly you would only have to modify the talent section which I am hoping they will do anyway. So it could be First Aid (1 IQ) Physicker (2IQ only 1 if have First Aid) Master Physicker (2 IQ). Beyond that I don't think you can do much more in the field triage maybe a Surgeon for in town.
Bayarea is offline   Reply With Quote