View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #38
hal

Default Re: [Ultra Tech] Layering Armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoricus View Post
Reaction bonuses can be important! I've been working on a space knight character for Mailanka's Psi-Wars, and he's dropped a pretty penny on getting a set of armor that's both functional and looks nice. For those occasions where stomping around in full armor isn't appropriate, the under layer doubles as a stylish but protective uniform.

Even if he didn't get the bonus, he'd still pay for style because well, that's the kind of character he is.
Great. You got a chuckle out of me (those are rare these days letmetellyou). I just imagined decking up an NPC whose demands for Styling, and functionality would make it such that his guns, armor, and personal gear would cost more than most of the working class make in a year. After a few shootouts and the like, I can imagine the NPC turning to the player character...

"Oh drat, its scuffed and has burn marks. It will never do. Be a good chap and pick up a new set for me? Oh, and dispose of this before you do please? Incinerator is good - don't want the riff-raff to get their grubby paws on it if you know what I mean."

If the player disposes of it first as instructed, and picks up the new set - finding out that he just disposed of a set of armor worth over $392,000 for the styling alone, plus another $90,000 in accessories - just might be worth the gulp and a little fear of the NPC. Not because the NPC per se is that brutal or menacing, but because:

1) he's still alive
2) he has that level of cash to play with
3) he's that dismissive of the costs involved

Might make the player worry about what league he's playing in.

Expect a private email from me on this shortly. Gonna have to create a new NPC named Nemoricus the Bold - a British Street Solo operating in Night City for a brief moment or ten.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote