View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #80
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia Valenth View Post
Useful post for examples, will have to take a harder look at your blog.
There is some good stuff there for RPM and other odds and ends (or so I'm told).

Quote:
After I posted it I realized something, it blocks (Margin of Success)/round from passing through the sphere with Lesser Sense Matter, would the spell be balanced if,
with Lesser Sense Matter it still blocks as normal, but it also activates if you attempt to shoot out, automatically hitting yourself with your physical ranged attacks and decreasing the number of attacks it will block.
With Greater Sense Matter it would work only on enemy attacks as it says above, but cost 110 Energy (22 x 5)
You don't normally add a effect to give yourself a drawback. That's like paying to hit yourself. That said, if I were going to write it up I'd do it as something like:

Sphere of Apparent Invulnerability
Spell Effects: Greater Control Crossroads + Greater Create Crossroads.
Inherent Modifiers: None
Greater Effects: 2 (×5).

This spell allows you to "guide" an ranged attack against you into a open wormhole which then spits it out harmlessly in another direction. Every time you are attacked, make a roll against (Path / 2 + 3). Success means you've "gated" the projectile away from you and you are unharmed. Failure means you didn't interpose the gate in time and critical failure results in the spell ending and you getting hit! For the purposes of a Active Defense this counts as a Dodge even though you are not actually moving. This spell cannot affect a projectile weighing more than 10 lbs.

Typical Casting: Greater Control Crossroads (5) + Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 60 energy (12×5).

Use Bestows a Bonus, Narrow category to increase your parrying skill and add Subject Weight if you want to affect siege weapons! Normally moving around a gate is a Lesser Control effect, but you're doing this in a split second with perfect precision - that screams a Greater Control effect to me. This is basically the ritual path magic version of a warp dodge except you're warping the projectile away instead of yourself. Another way to build it might be Enhanced Dodge (Limited, Ranged Projectiles, -40%) [9/level] using Altered Traits if the effect requires no effort and bullets whiz around you instead of hitting you.

Quote:
For the setting I plan it will work well as is, possibly be a bit too weak, but that is the nature of GURPS - what works well one game can be game breaking in another.
Actually, that's not the nature of GURPS - it's designed to work well in both settings as long as the base campaign assumptions are the same. Where it does get weird is when you bring a cinematic character to a realistic one and don't change a thing. And hey, if it works for you, then have at it - Rule Zero always applies.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 08-17-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote