View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #18
Nymdok

Default Re: Resolved,There is no point to statting up anything that is not a PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by riprock View Post
I may be in the minority, but I feel that preparing a well-modeled simulation is a worthwhile task in and of itself. Edit: And thus I like the notion of content creators bashing spreadsheets or other data models until the simulation is robust and accurate - regardless of whether it's simulating a fantasy or a reality.
I don't know that its a worthwhile end unto itself, but I DO know that its definitely worthwhile for gaming purposes. Its a powerful tool and prevents shameful 'dice fudging' which is, to me, synonymous with cheating.

Probability determines the value of all Game Mechanics in any system that uses cards,dice or any other random element

Role Playing is a player pretending to be someone else, but ROLL playing is you attempting to suceed at tasks within the systems Game Mechanics.

The commodities that you purchase to help with that success are the skills and abilities on the sheet. The currency that the players use are Charachter Points. This currency is Worthless to NPCs but the value of affecting probability is NOT worthless.

This is why game balance is SO important to me(and why you can see me bang on about it in various threads). It is the only way I know of that I can ensure that the value/utility/flexibility is right for my party.

Nymdok