View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 03:21 PM   #39
Blue Ghost

Default Re: CW as a roleplaying game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
On this we agree -- _GURPS_ has it's charms, but it is Not _Car Wars_; that is: One cannot necessarily take a player of one, plonk him down at a table for the other, and have him playing effectively immediately. Being to jump directly from one to the other (and back) is useful.

One of the big reasons I've been following this thread is "trying to hear Other Points of View on the subject" -- esp. as there's not a heck of a lot of us left out here. Your airing of your views is appreciated.
Well, one more thought here; GURPS Autoduel struck me more as a tool for RPers of all stripes who were not (or are not) primarily CW players, but have some familiarity with CW, and want to include CW flavor stuff in their RP sessions, than an actual RP system for CW players as seemed to be the intent.

I don't know what the thinking was way back when GURPS Autoduel was in development and hit the shelves, but it seemed like a marketing decision to rope in CW players to try out GURPS, and I don't mind saying this, but I was a really disaffected SJ Games customer way back then. I mean I really didn't like that decision, if what I'm putting down here is true.

When TFG released their Autoventures' line, to me, that seemed more in line with what I would have liked to have seen from SJGames or some authorized vendor in terms of RP supps / adventures for CW. And to this day I'm still .. agog as to why no pure CW RP supps were forthcoming, the odd ADQ article not withstanding.

I mean, it was a long time ago, but it's like as fun as I had with D&D I was not much into the whole fantasy RP thing, and I feel some of those irate feelings coming back when I think about the implicit promise of CW RP material, but instead we got things like Dueltrack or CW Tanks. I personally like Dueltrack, and loved seeing rules for gas engines, canam cars, even dragsters and all that racing gear. But it's like it took L'Outrance or Turbofire to vette the RP aspects which should have been in Dueltrack proper.

That's just me.

I think I''ve said everything. Maybe, maybe not. That's been some customer angst that I needed to vent. Again, GURPS is cool, but like you say, it's not CW.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote